Donald Trump’s policy advisers are discussing plans to establish a registry for Muslim immigrants in the US, a man believed to be a key member of the President-elect’s transition team has revealed.
Source: Donald Trump team ‘discussing plans for Muslim registration system’ | The Independent
If the president-elect goes ahead with this plan, we must each choose how to address it. Some will support it, and in the case of some, their reasons will be both understandable and rational. Others, including myself, will resist it in different ways. We could send our checks to the ACLU, but I think that this sort of thing demands more than a well-funded court battle: it demands a bit of moral sabotage.
As a Jew, I will be placing my name on that registry, as, I think, should every clear-thinking descendant of Abraham in the United States. I will do it:
- To remember the Holocaust. We will not feed our fellow Americans into that same kind of nightmare.
- To remember all of the brave souls who, at the risk of their position or their lives, resisted Nazi oppression to help save Jews from the Holocaust.
- As an act of peace toward all Muslims everywhere, to show that whatever our disagreements, we are all brothers.
- Because in doing so we openly defy a government act that is at odds with the Constitution.
- Because I need to show my son that we are never powerless in the face of injustice.
- Because if we don’t, we’re next.
- Because G-d is Great.
Leave a Reply